Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Roger Federer Won His Fifth Cincinnati Title, The First Man Ever To Do So

The last time you're here, it must be because you read our previous post, which is Roger Federer Looks To Win His Fifth Cincinnati Title, and that is what truly happens, Roger Federer won his fifth Cincinnati Title, the first man ever to do so by beating the 2nd seed of the tournament, also one of the big three, Novak Djokovic. Which even surpasses his wildest childhood dreams.

“When I was a kid, I wasn’t thinking of winning five Cincinnatis,” Federer said after his semifinal win Saturday over his Swiss compatriot Stanislas Wawrinka. “But then again, here I am in this great situation being able to do it — the first man ever.”
Roger Federer Won His Fifth Cincinnati Title
Roger Federer Won His Fifth Cincinnati Title
Federer followed through Sunday, winning the Western & Southern Open for the fifth time with a breezy, then bruising 6-0, 7-6 (7) victory over Novak Djokovic of Serbia.
Federer, 31, bullied his way to his third Masters 1000 title of the year with a nearly untouchable serve, which rarely surpassed 130 miles per hour but hit corners and lines consistently. 
Roger Federer Won His Fifth Cincinnati Title
Roger Federer Won His Fifth Cincinnati Title
He became the first player to win a tournament of this level without ever having his serve broken. He did not face a single break point in the final, and faced only three in the tournament.

Djokovic had not been broken, either, in his four matches in the tournament going into the final. But he was broken by Federer in the opening game of the match, and then twice more en route to losing the set, 6-0, in just 20 minutes.
Roger Federer Won His Fifth Cincinnati Title
Roger Federer Won His Fifth Cincinnati Title
“I was hoping for a good start — but not like that,” Federer said. “I’ll take it.”

The crowd, which was in Federer’s favor at the outset, turned its attention to Djokovic, hoping to propel him into competitive form. And when Djokovic held serve to open the second set, the crowd roared in relief, causing Djokovic to break into a toothy grin as he walked to his chair for the changeover.
Roger Federer Won His Fifth Cincinnati Title
Roger Federer Won His Fifth Cincinnati Title
The players traded holds throughout the second set, often with ease, as they sprinted toward a second-set tiebreaker. In what looked to be a tight final between the ATP No. 1 and No. 2, only one of the 18 games in the match even reached deuce.

But the tiebreaker made up for the lack of drama in the preceding stages of the match, as Federer raced out to a 3-0 lead before Djokovic reeled off four straight points to take the lead.
Roger Federer Won His Fifth Cincinnati Title
Roger Federer Won His Fifth Cincinnati Title
After saving a set point for Djokovic at 6-7 in the tiebreaker with an overhead smash, Federer sealed the title on his second match point with a crosscourt shot from the front of the court, knocking it away for a clean winner and raising his arms above his head in triumph.

So Roger Federer won his fifth Cincinnati Title, which also means Federer’s fifth title at the tournament was his 21st over all at Masters 1000 tournaments, tying the absent Rafael Nadal for the most in a career.

Djokovic played down the significance of the result as it pertained to the United States Open, the final Grand Slam event of the year.
Roger Federer Won His Fifth Cincinnati Title
Roger Federer Won His Fifth Cincinnati Title
“The conditions here are quite different from U.S. Open,” he said of the courts. “It’s a bit slower there, which I think goes in my favor a little bit more, more suitable to my style of the game. I’m going to have a week that I think is very necessary for me right now mentally and physically.”

Roger Federer Won His Fifth Cincinnati TitleDjokovic, the reigning Open champion, added buoyantly: “I have made more than I expected after Olympic Games. I lost only one match in two weeks on two 1000 events, which is great success. So I’m actually feeling good about myself at this moment. I really look forward to New York.”

Though he may feel good about himself, Djokovic has lost his last four matches against fellow members of the ATP’s Big Four, a far cry from his dominance in 2011. He lost in the French Open final to Nadal, in the Olympic semifinal to Andy Murray, and in the Wimbledon semifinal and the final here to Federer.

“It’s been another amazing week for me, and I’m having a magical summer,” Federer said during the trophy ceremony. “So it’s obviously very nice. And I’m excited about New York now. But I’ll first savor this one for a bit.”

So that's it for the tennis news today, Roger Federer won his fifth Cincinnati Title, and he is the first man ever to do so. If his 2 other biggest rivals are aiming to break those records, then they will need at least 6 years to do so, because both Rafa and Novak has never been the champion in this event, not even once, that's why they also called this Cincinnati Tournament, one of Roger's Town, so true, right? It sure did, because Roger proves they are right, Roger Federer won his fifth Cincinnati Title. Nothing more to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment